Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pin 3: Angel Fruit Cake

If you have looked through the Food & Drink category of Pinterest you've probably seen this:



Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you who came up with this or where the original pin started or what it is even called (I'm calling it Angel Fruit Cake). But this is the caption that was under it:

"1 box of Angel Food Cake Mix and 1 large can of crushed pineapple with the juice! Combine only those 2 ingredients!! Bake at 350 for 40 min or until golden brown:) Thats it!!!! It really works and is sooo yummy and FAT FREE:)))"

What? Mix two ingredients together and I get cake? Genius, right?

I feel like this pin could also be categorized as some kind of science experiment. When these two ingredients are mixed together the batter foams to twice it's original size. I've never seen food do that before! (Unless that is what adding anything to angel food cake does? I don't think I've baked an angel food cake before.)

Again, I did not take pictures of my process. But this was my final product:



Totally not as appetizing as the pin above, huh? And this was after letting them bake for about 20 minutes, not the 40 the recipe called for. After about 15 minutes I smelled burning and had Hubby check on them to make sure nothing had caught on fire.

He tried helping me figure out why I almost burned these to a pulp.

For starters (and I knew this going in), our oven is crazy. We have to keep a cookie sheet on the bottom rack to keep things form burning on the bottom. Cook times are also shorter when baking sweet things and longer when cooking savory things.

Hubby also suggested that maybe I filled the cupcake hole too much. He could have a point there. The worse burned ones did spill over the edge a bit. There was also more batter than I had anticipated since it "grew" and I wanted to use up as much of it as I could between the only two cupcake tins I have.

I ate them nonetheless. I was able to get past the burned smell that radiated from them (oddly, they smelled similar to burned marshmallows). They were decent with my coffee in the morning.

Was it easy? Totally! Now I know I can have cake without needing eggs, which I always seem to have on hand but are always past their prime.

Was it good? Not the burned ones. They ended up being super sticky so I had to have a wet towel handy every time I ate one.

Would I make it again? Yes. Next time with strawberries and in sheet cake form. And next time I will post pictures of the "before" cake batter and the "after" so you can see how much it puffed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment